14 June 2012

Folded To-Do page between Weekly pages

I'm setting up my Orchid Aston as my new Life In Scotland Filofax. The heather-purple color reminds me of the Scottish hillsides in August!

While setting things up, I had an idea to fold a lined page lengthwise so I could use it for my weekly lists without obscuring my view of the rest of the week:

My apologies to anyone who has already posted about this, I'm only just now figuring it out!

The reason I normally don't put a page between my weekly pages is I need to see my entire week at once. This way I can have a weekly list, and still see the entire week. By folding the page over, I can still have the entire page for my lists, and use the back of the page to record notes, expenditures, etc.  When the week is over, I can unfold the page to reduce bulk and leave it between the week's pages as a record of what I did.

The photo above and below show a Cotton Cream lined page between Cotton Cream weekly pages. The only problem with this setup is that the holidays in the Cotton Cream weekly pages are printed at the middle of the book, so they are covered up by the half-page.

I also happen to have this year's weekly insert in the white pages, which prints the holidays on the outside of the page, under the day names:
This allows holidays to be visible all week and not covered up by the half page.
I can still easily access the back of the lined page. I could even fold it over the other way for access to that side of the page in the second half of the week.
I'm really liking this setup!

13 comments:

  1. I've started to do the exact same thing (based on a pocket FF idea by Snarl, I think), except I use the folded sheet as a mini week-to-view in between DPP inserts. It's perfection for me.
    One side has the week's view, the other side has shopping lists & weekly goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh heh funny i just recently did another overhaul since i was at that point where i couldn't see my own todos again (playing too much with stickers and stuff - really can't have those - too distracting for me!) so i moved out of the pocket amazona and back into the compact chameleon. currently, 2012 vertical planner, 3 months of wpp w/notes and 1 week of 2ppd. wpp w/notes in between 2ppd. my classes end tomorrow so i will try really hard to do a blog post but in the meantime, quickie photo:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliceklar/7185801631/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea - saves buying Day Timer hot notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - Great idea! I do buy the DT hot sheets and use them all the time for this exact purpose. I haven't bought any in a while and I use every last inch of space on them before moving to a new sheet. I find them very helpful now with my work to-dos finally added to the filo. When I'm finished with what I have left, this might be a good replacement!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good idea to me - from my point of view it would maintain the integrity of having everything in cotton cream, enable me to keep the weekly list (or ongoing list) in with the diary sheets, and also any extraneous info relating to diary appts (post codes for Sat Nav etc)without cluttering the diary.

    I do *wish* FF would produce a range of diaries in cotton cream, though - their spectacular disregard for customer needs and comments continues to amaze and astound, and, to be honest, they barely deserve any customers at all.

    Still, we all know no-one is listening eh?......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about a direct appeal to Alice Temperley? They seem to listen to her...

      Delete
  5. An enhancement to consider: use thicker paper, cut to half width, then cut gaps between the holes and the inward edge of the paper, like a today marker. Now you have one you can move from week to week without opening the rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I cut the punched holes of the Hotlists open like that so I can move them around without always opening the rings ....

      Delete
  6. This has got nothing to do with this post but OMG i feel like a total fool.
    Went to look at the compatable page sizes etc in the FAQ section (which i have never before looked at - and found point 11................. I did know that is what they were for - it took me a while to figure out what was meant - no more cracked nails for me (from trying to prise the damn thing open.
    Feel slightly foolish :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this idea. I currently use the (personal) ‘week on one page with notes’ diary and it’s working very well for me. It would be nice to have a bit more room within the days themselves though, so I might move back to my cotton cream ‘week on two pages’ with a folded notes page in between at some stage. I can see it working very well for me. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I have my 'To Do's' under another tab and have to constantly flip back and forth, which I do find annoying...this is perfect. Years ago I used the Day Timer hot sheets but I had forgotten all about them. I think I am going to implement this idea right away~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used the Franklin Covey bookmark pages in the past, but they didn't have enough space for my needs. This way I have an entire page, but it doesn't get in the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use a week at a glance on the left side of my planner and a daily page where I've put a schedule (keeps me focussed) on the left. I feel I have the best of both worlds. I also hole punch little cards sometimes and place them in my planner for color and to write todos on. This is look at my blog post with pics. I will be doing a new one soon as I've just recently been trying out another week at a glance. http://mylifeonestoryatatime.com/2014/02/04/setting-up-a-planner-is-a-journey-where-there-is-no-destination/ You have a great idea there.

    ReplyDelete